The Mongrel Hoard

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Cynthia Hélène Merino DK


Cynthia Hélène was the Debbie Bliss of her day, which was unfortunately brief. I'd just come back from a student teaching jaunt in New Zealand when I fell in love with her yarns and the awesome patterns. It's a shame she is no longer in the yarn business, as I think the new batch of knitters would really have loved her stuff.
Anyway, these 13 balls are destined to become the Viking Turid, from Knitter's Fall 2000 issue.
Elsebeth Lavold, the designer of this gorgeous sweater, is the reason I buy Knitters.
I've really liked everything she's done for them.

3 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Chestnut Bay Fibers said...

I actually met Cynthia Helene a number of years ago while on a business trip in Dallas. I was killing time, so I went to this yarn shop in N. Dallas and she was having a trunk show. I spent a long time purchasing some of her yarns and was then invited to have dinner with her and the shop owner(s). It was a treat!

I am sad to hear that she is no longer in business, as her yarns and patterns were/are just amazing. I still have some of them - one is an unfinished project in a gorgeous merino wool and the other yarns are blends (one is a cotton, I think) that I haven't done anything with yet.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

I did a search on Cynthia Helene and found this site. Today at the Goodwill I found four skeins of Kid Mohair. The bands were taped around the yarn so I carefully removed the labels. The label bands appear to be much larger than the skeins but all four skeins are the same size.

Do you remember that the skeins were really loosely labeled, or I wonder if I have four partial skeins (it doesn't look like any yarn has been removed.)

Thank you for any help.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger swan said...

I’m heartbroken to find that this she is no longer working with yarn. I wanted to do a gorgeous sweater called Celtic Geometry from The Best of Knitters book Aran’s Celtics. 😢 what would be a substitute for her Merino super wash? Thank you so much for any advice. 🙏🏻❤️

 

Post a Comment

<< Home